Day 1: Your Door to Door service will transfer you to the airport for a lunchtime flight. From here we shall travel by coach to our base for the next 7 nights, the Seehotel Pilatus in the village of Hergiswil.
Days 2 to 7: There will be five included excursions and a free day.
- We take a short train ride into Lucerne and then travel by boat along the lake to Vitznau. Here we transfer onto Europe’s oldest mountain rack railway to reach the top of the Rigi mountain at 5,750ft. From here we can look down onto Lake Lucerne, including Hergiswil, and across to Mount Pilatus. We then return down the other side of the mountain to Arth Goldau and return to Hergiswil by train.
- Today we travel on part of the Golden Pass rail route across the Brunig Pass into the Bernese Oberland where we skirt Lake Brienz before arriving at the international resort of Interlaken. Here we change onto another train to head into the Jungfrau region to visit the winter resort of Grindelwald sitting beneath the mighty Eiger Mountain. After enjoying the views and having time for lunch we return to Interlaken for some free time and then back over the Brunig Pass to Hergiswil
- Another day of mountain climbing with plenty of snow. We head south from Lucerne by train to climb the historic main Gotthard line to reach Goschenen. Here we change onto a steep rack railway to climb through the Schollenen Gorge to Andermatt – a winter sports resort surrounded by mountains. The village is also on the route of the famous Glacier Express and so we will take a short ride on this line to get to the top of the Oberalp Pass at 6,700ft. This is a very popular skiing area. We return to Hergiswil by the same route.
- We travel by train and bus to reach the foot of the newly opened world’s steepest funicular with a maximum gradient of 110%. This will take us up to the traffic free winter sports resort of Stoos. If the weather is suitable we can go even higher by gondola to Fronalpstock from where there is a splendid view down over Lake Lucerne.
- By train to the resort of Engelberg at the base of Mount Titlis. From here we climb the mountain firstly by gondola and then by a rotating cable car to reach the summit at almost 10,000ft. At the top there are some as the best views in the Alps as well as a cliff walk across Europe’s highest suspension bridge and the Ice Flyer chairlift which provides access to the Glacier Park.
- A free day but your local travel pass (TellPass) will be valid on trains, buses and mountain railways. Some may want to spend the day in Lucerne but there are plenty of other areas to explore including an ascent of Mount Pilatus by cable car.
Day 8: We travel by coach to the airport for our flight to the UK. On arrival, we meet your Door to Door service to home.